1. Is it weird to get excited when your coach emails you dates of upcoming long runs? So far I have 18 on 8/22; 20 on 9/5; 18 on 9/12; and 20 on 9/19.
Ha, it’s been a long time since I’ve done anything longer than 13.1 miles. It must have been Spring 2014 when I was training for the Chicago Lakefront 50k. Sigh, it’s been on my mind to do another one. Maybe Spring 2016? We’ll see. Last Saturday’s run was supposed to be 14 but I managed 10. I am scheduled for 13 tomorrow and I am sort of looking forward to it. :=)
2. Yesterday was my last day of summer school. It was an interesting couple of weeks for me. Let’s just say I have a deeper respect for special education teachers. I thought my job was tough but now realize that my job is easier.
3. On Monday I start my last class for my math endorsement. It is Geometry and I am kind of worried because I HATE Geometry. Plus, it will be intense since the class is for 10 days from 9am-12pm. Oh well, I’d rather do this than go for 10 weeks on Wednesday from 5pm-8pm.
4. I told myself no more ProCompression socks but how cute are these?
Do you like wearing long compression socks? Have you ever run a 50k?
1. On Wednesday I started my summer job. I will be working for the month of July from 8am-11:45 am. I like it because it it for one month for a few hours in the morning and I still have the rest of the day to do whatever I want. However, next month I have my summer class and then when it is over, it will be almost time to go back to school.
2. Do you have anything planned for Saturday, September 20th? Please plan to attend Bright Pink’s FitFest 2015 in Chicago. You can read more about it here.
3. Lately I’ve been buying so much Brooks running gear from REI. I’ve purchased the Versatile Lite Tank Top in each color. They run big – I usually wear a large but a medium fits me fine. I also bought the Versatile IV T-Shirt in blue and green. They also run big. There are a bunch of other discounted stuff and you’ll save even more (cash back) if you go through the Ebates site.
4. I was out returning some socks at Kohl’s and found some great books for my kids. I bought 4 different ones along with the stuffed animal. I might go back to get another one. Isn’t it cute?
5. Tomorrow is race #6 – Elmhurst Bank 4 on the 4th. I LOVE this race and am very excited about it. Here is a picture of my outfit.
6. Thanks to Timehop I can look back at what I did, ate, wore, etc., in prior years. Last year I had a new pair of Newton Kismet while three years ago I wore a pair of Brooks Glycerin.
What are you plans for the 4th of July? I am not sure if we’re staying home and my mother with BBQ or we’ll visit family members and they’ll BBQ. Do you have Timehop on your phone? How do you like it?
1. Friday again? The days definitely go by much faster when you are on vacation. I know that during the school year I am always aware of each day and get so excited on Fridays. On vacation I sometimes lose track and have no idea when a day is Monday, Tuesday, etc.
2. On Monday, my sister and nephews went to volunteer at Feed My Starving Children. It is a great place to volunteer and you end up leaving really good about yourself. The last time I was there was almost two years ago. Yikes! I need to make it a priority to go there more often.
We were there from 2:30-4:30 pm. My nephews LOVE Home Run Inn and we stopped there for dinner. We got home in time to watch “The Bachelorette” and before the bad weather began rolling into the Chicago area. Luckily, it was just wind and lots of rain but I know other places had it even worse.
3. I bought a new running gear, the Garmin Forerunner 220. So far I’ve run with it twice and like it. The only problem I have is that I cannot get it to sync with my heart monitor. I have to run 8 miles on Saturday with the CES group so hopefully one of the coaches there can help me.
4. I know we all have good and bad runs. I love it when I have a good run but I love it even more when it is on a day that I had no desire to run. I did not run yesterday morning because I was planning to run in the evening with the ladies from Fleet Feet. Well, I did a few errands with my mom and got home after 6pm. I was tired and decided to rest and then go running. Everything hurt so I took an ibuprofen. Then I decided not to go. I guess I must have been feeling guilty and I reminded myself that I would not skip any of my marathon training runs planned by my coach (I’ve missed one) so I got dressed and went out for my run. You know what? It was AWESOME and I felt great. I ran better than I expected and that made me happy.
5. I received my grade for my Spring class. I am disappointed that I got a “B”. I know it is still a great grade but the class was so easy and pretty much an easy “A”. For nine weeks I listened to the lectures and took notes. I also did all of my homework and pretty much got all of the problems correct. The deal breaker was the final presentation on the last day of class. It was worth 50 percent of my grade. I know I did not rock it but I didn’t think I did that bad. I get really nervous speaking in front of a group (definitely not a problem with little kids) so I am just mad at myself because I messed up on the presentation. My next (and final class) starts in August.
What has been your best volunteer experience? Do you get nervous speaking in front of a group?
1. On Monday I went to a live taping of Windy City Live. There were no prizes/gifts for audience members but it was still fun to be there. We heard from Brian Grazer, watched a performance by Muntu Dance Theatre, and listened to a discussion lead by Dr. E. Patrick Johnson on the NAACP leader, Rachel Dolezal.
2. This past weekend I got a kitten. Her name is Lola and she is very playful and FUNNY! I will post pictures of her (not too many) on the blog and on Instagram. I hope you don’t unfollow me. For now here are a few.
3. I love coffee. But I also love flavored coffee creamer. I’ve been loving this Mexican chocolate style. Delicious. Try it. You will not be disappointed.
4. Just the other day I found my Birkenstocks in the back of my car. I think they’ve been there since last summer. Ha, definitely ugly shoes but very comfortable. I remember one time I was in NY and walked for a couple of hours in them and my feet did not hurt one bit. Will definitely be wearing them this summer.
5. This afternoon my nephew and I did a Slice of Chicago Pizza Tour. We are both HUGE fans of Home Run Inn but wanted to try something different. We had pizza from Pizzeria Uno, Quartino, and Giordano’s. I must have read incorrectly the description because I could have sworn it said that we were supposed to go to 5-6 different pizza places. Overall, it was fun to make a trip downtown (even though it was very windy and kind of cold) and have a few slices from two places we’ve never been to, Quartino and Pizzeria Uno. The verdict? Pizzeria Uno is the best one.
Are you a fan of pizza? Favorite pizza place? What is your favorite topping(s)?
1. I am officially on summer break! Yesterday was my last day. My kids were excited but also sad. A few even cried. Before we left there was a little parade for the 6th graders. Basically they went through the school and “said goodbye” to everyone before exiting the school. Next year they will be going to another school for 7th and 8th grade. I was sad but also happy because some were in my first group of students (1st graders) when I began teaching. It is neat to see them all grown up.
2. I’ve run two races that I’ve yet to write a recap. One was the Solder Field 10 Mile (PR for me) and the Covered Bridges Half Marathon in Vermont (State #33). It was not a PR but I still felt great and finished with my second best time for a half marathon. I will write the recaps soon. Promise.
3. Marathon training has been going well. Most of my runs have been easy runs which I like. My coach has emphasized to run them SLOW. For the most part I’ve done that but there have been some runs in which I’ve accidentally run a little bit faster.
4. The academic year is over so it is time for a new calendar. I bought mine at Staples which I love. Some friends make fun of me because I use a paper calendar instead of the one in my phone. Actually I use both but I prefer the paper version.
5. Wednesday was my last math class. I cannot believe 10 weeks flew by! I had to do a five minute presentation on a famous mathematician, Ada Lovelace. Believe it or not but I was very nervous. It is weird how I can talk in a room full of 2nd graders but get nervous when it is adults. I know I messed up and forgot to mention some important facts about Ada. Cross your fingers I end up with an “A” in this class.
I registered for my final class (Geometry) which starts in August and then I’ll be done with my math endorsement. My plan is to either teach math in middle school or be a math coach/interventionist.
Any exciting plans this summer? Do share. I have the usual with relax, eat, watch movies, and meet up with friends. I just got an email asking if I was still interested in a summer job I applied for in March. It is for July 1-30th from 8am-11:45am. Perfect right?