For the past week or so, I’ve been in a running funk. I love working with my coach, Mary, but recently have not been motivated to run. My last run was 2 weeks ago and I remember that I didn’t want to run but ended up running and ran better than expected.
The weather has been driving me CRAZY. Just on Sunday and Monday we got more snow.
I remember that last year while training for the Illinois Marathon, I did almost all of my runs outside. Some days were cold, some were snowy, and some were both. Regardless, I was out there. I made sure to have the right gear in order to survive outside that long in those weather conditions.
Below is the gear I use to run during the cold weather. Yes, pretty much everything is Oiselle gear. 🙂
• Wazzie Wool Baselayer – I have 4 of these tops. They’re made of merino wool so they keep me warm, absorbs and wicks sweat, and is water repellant. Plus, I love that I can wear this top a few times and it doesn’t smell.
• Vim Jacket – I have one in black but am waiting for the yellow one to go on sale (that color is perfect for running when it is dark). This jacket is lightweight, breathable, and water repellant. It has kept me warm when paired with the wazzie wool baselayer. If I ever get too warm, I can tuck it into the pocket and carry it with the strap.
• Flyout Jacket – I love that it is insulated and has a weather-resistant shell in the front which provides protection from the wind. I own two of these jackets (in blue and in black), but also wear them on non-running days when it is cool enough for just a jacket.
• Super Puff Mittens – These are no longer available online but these mittens keep my hands very warm because of the Polartec Alpha™ insulation and weather-resistant sheet (similar to the flyout jacket). I have one pair and am hoping they’re available again so I can get another pair.
• Power Stretch Running Beanie – This is similar to the Trailheads Women’s Running Ponytail Hat. It is insulated, soft, and covers my ears. My favorite thing about it is the opening for my ponytail.
• Tights – I wear the Moto Lesley Tights and the Classic Lesley Tights. They’re both fleece lined but the Moto tights are thicker and warmer for colder days.
• Wazzie Wool Gaiter – Same material as the baselayer. Perfect for windy days! I also use one from BibRave (not wool material).
• Smartwool Women’s PhD Run Ultra Light Micro Socks – I actually wear these year round. They keep my feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I also like the crew socks during the winter to cover up my ankles.
This week’s Tuesday Topic: What are your cold weather running essentials? You can write about this topic, or feel free to post any running related blog post. Remember to Link-up with Kim and Zenaida! Visit at least two of the other linked posts – the more the merrier! Remember to come back for later linkers!