Happy Tuesday and welcome to another edition of Tuesday Topics! I am excited about tomorrow. I may not be running but I am looking forward to see how my friends celebrate Global Running Day.
This week’s Tuesday Topic: How will you celebrate Global Running Day? You can write about this topic or feel free to post any running related blog post. Remember to link up with Kim and Zenaida! Visit at least two of the other linked posts – the more the merrier! Remember to come back for later linkers!
This year Global Running Day is Wednesday, June 3rd. I am not planning to run that day. I checked my running schedule and Wednesday will be a rest day for me.
I ran Monday and today. I am tempted to run tomorrow too. Maybe just one mile?
I did not know this but you can also sign up for challenges in the Garmin app. The challenges are also for walking and for cycling. You bet I signed up! You get points after completing a challenge. What can you get with the points? I don’t know and at the moment don’t really care. I just want to run. 🙂
With no races to train for, right now I need all of the motivation to continue running. So far I am doing really good and I am very happy about it. Summer is coming and it will get even more HOT. You’ll probably hear me complain about the hot weather.
Another great week for me! Ran 5 days for a total of 18.33 miles and did another 2 virtual races for the Uncanceled Project.
This week was a HOT one! I went out too late on Monday and struggled during my 4 miles. I am sure I was dehydrated because I had a headache and felt some chills towards the end.
I spent the rest of the day relaxing and catching up on blogs.
Apparently I did not learn my lesson on Monday because I went out again too late on Wednesday. I did 1 mile, then 4-30 second surges, and then ran easy for total 3 miles. I did pretty good with the surges (8:46/7:57/8:17/8:09)!
I am NOT eating well at all and paid for it on Thursday. I did 5 miles and it was tough. My shorts are a bit too tight and moving was not easy.
Sometimes a run sucks and sometimes it doesn’t. On Saturday my run did not suck. I ran 3 sets of 5 minutes. Couple of things: 1) Ran each set without stopping and that is something that rarely happens. 2) Got negative splits and that rarely happens too. 3) Fastest splits in a long time. I was very pleased with this run. I was happy. I know the weather had something to do with it as it was perfect for running.
I finished May with 72.05 miles. That has been my highest this year.
Sometime in March I removed the Instagram app from my phone. My last post was March 12. I downloaded the app again. At that time I had 900 followers. Well, I unfollowed everyone because I want to start over. It’s been interesting to see how many followers I lost. 🙂 I began with 900, then had 883, and ended up with 871. So I lost 29 followers in a couple of days. Tomorrow is a new month and I will start following people again.
It was kind of hard to find joy this week with everything that is going on in this country. Last night we got an alert that the Mayor had imposed a curfew (9pm-6am). Honestly, it wasn’t till last night that I saw what had been happening in the city. Now I am watching a Facebook Live of a looting taking place not too far from my house. I’ve been watching it for over an hour and cannot stop watching it.
Linking up with Kim and Deborah for the Weekly Run Down.
• Thanks to Facebook Memories for another great reminder. I do enjoy teaching 2nd grade. So if I am doing the math correctly, 2020-2021 will be my 7th year teaching 2nd grade. I have had some great coworkers which makes this job a whole lot better.
• Have you seen these tumblers? I don’t need another one but these are very cute. And I want one. If you see them, get two of them and let me know. I will pay you for them.
• A few weeks ago I purchased a cocktail shaker. You know I love my martinis. Somehow there was trouble with the delivery and Target gave me a refund. I ordered another one and am supposed to get it today. Imagine my surprise when on Monday I received the first one I ordered. Now I have two of them. Just kidding. I will return the other one.
• My cats rarely sleep on the same bed. Lola is still not happy that Mateo is around. Will she get over it? Now I need to get another bed for ME.
• This made me laugh! I will ignore any students that ask me that question.
Happy Tuesday and welcome to another edition of Tuesday Topics! Did you all have a nice Memorial Day yesterday? I spent most of the day reading blogs and watching TV. Oh, and staying cool since it got really hot too.
This week’s Tuesday Topic: What are some of your running hacks? You can write about this topic or feel free to post any running related blog post. Remember to link up with Kim and Zenaida! Visit at least two of the other linked posts – the more the merrier! Remember to come back for later linkers!
I’ve been running for over 10 years and while I am no expert, I have picked up a few things here and there to help make my running experiences a bit better. Most are things things you’re already doing, but still I am going to share the things that have been working for me.
• Lay out your running clothes the night before. Some people sleep in their running clothes but I’d find that to be uncomfortable. I am not big chested and do not sleep with a bra so I cannot imagine sleeping with a running bra. I am sure I can sleep without it and then just put it on in the morning but I prefer to sleep in shorts and tee in the summer or long pants and long sleeve top in the summer. Laying out your clothes the night before ensure you have everything ready the next morning and do not waste time looking for things you need.
• Schedule your workouts in your calendar. I put everything in my Google Calendar. I would be lost without it. I also schedule my school meetings, doctor appointments, my mother’s doctor appointments, and everything else that my presence is required.
• Use an app to track the mileage of your shoes. I have a Garmin and not only use the app to check the data of my run, but also to track the mileage of my shoes. After each run, I check my splits, pace, etc., and I add the shoes that I wore. This way I know when I can retire the shoes I am wearing and start using a new pair. Right now I have the app set up to retire the shoes at 350 miles.
• Vary your routes. I usually run by my house. I’ve been doing that for a few years now and like it. There are days that I miss running by the lakefront. Sometimes I want to see something different instead of the same thing. I still run by my house but go a different route. Sometimes I do a reverse loop.
• Break up the miles. This works very well for me when running on the treadmill but can also be done when running outside. I remember one time I had to run 10 miles and was not looking forward to it (and I one that does not mind running on the treadmill). I broke up the run into 2.5 mile segments, and taking a short break in between.
• Program your workouts in your watch. This is perfect when doing intervals so you know exactly when to run and when to walk/recover. No more guessing and running more or less that you’re supposed to. I once had to do 30 second intervals and it was “hard” to do because I had to count in my head and pay attention to where I was stepping so as not to fall. 🙂
• Freeze your water. I remember this from a few years ago that Judy either mentioned in her blog or she gave me that suggestion. I remember it was for my hydration pack. With a longer run and warmer weather, the water was not cold enough for me. She told me to fill it halfway and then put it in the freezer the night before my run. The next morning just fill it up with more water.
• Have fun. Seriously. Running is a hobby and should not take control over us. So what if a run did not go as expected. Tomorrow is another day. Life goes on.