I am linking up with Courtney to share my year in running.
- Best race experience: I ran 10 races this year. Each one brought a different experience. I worked hard and I pushed on through to cross the finish line. But to pick one it would have to be the Covered Bridges Half Marathon. It has a beautiful course with one gigantic hill around mile 8. Still I ended up with my second best half marathon finish time. My friend, Jaime, ran a sub 2 half marathon and it made me so happy I was there to enjoy the moment.
- Best run: I ran 20 miles with the Chicago Endurance Sports. They had everything set up from tents/support at the beginning of the run to even more support after the run. It was a gorgeous day for a run and the coaches and pacers did a wonderful job. It was definitely an amazing experience! The only bad thing was that I lost my phone with less than two miles to go. One of the coaches stayed with me to look for it instead of leaving me and going with the other runners from the group.
- Best new piece of running gear: Definitely my Garmin Forerunner 225. I had to purchase a new one in November (and thanks to so many discounts only paid $120 for it). Next year I want to upgrade to the Garmin Fenix 3. Just a beautiful watch! Not a running gear but I am also obsessed with Nuun Kona Cola. Unfortunately, that particular flavor is being discontinued so you bet I am stocking up.
- Best running advice you’ve received this year: To have fun and to be in the moment during my runs. That is something that is hard for me to do but I am working towards actually doing it. 🙂
- Most inspirational runner: This is a tough one. But every runner inspires me. I love hearing stories of how they became a runner and the reasons they run. I never get tired of talking to them about their experiences and where they are in their journey.
- Favorite picture from a run or race this year: This photo was sent to me by a friend. I was on TV!!
- Race experience you would repeat in a heartbeat: Two of my favorite races are the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle and Community Bank of Elmhurst 4 on the 4th. I love the distance. For the former race, this year it was a cold and windy day but still fun. Also, the race has the same start and finish line as the Chicago Marathon.
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words what would they be? Progress. I’ve been doing more speedwork and while it is taking me longer than I wanted to, slowly I am seeing progress in my runs. I’ve had great and terrible runs (who hasn’t) but I am learning to not focus so much on the bad ones but to celebrate and learn from each one.
To read more amazing “Year of Running 2015” stories, go to Courtney’s blog.
Oh, and just want to let you know about my 5 days of giveaways beginning on Saturday, January 2nd. I have items from Swiftwick Socks, MudLOVE, Momentum Jewelry, Lock Laces, and Hammer Nutrition.
I love my Garmin too! And having fun out there is key! Good luck in the new year!
Thank you! 😀
Just thinking about reviving my blog and got sidetracked checking in on everyone. I hope you’re still planning on NOLA! 🙂
Hi there! Yes, I will be there in NOLA. Girl, I miss reading your blog. Yours was the first one I starting reading. I LOVE reading about your teaching experiences, running, and of course, Savannah. 🙂 Happy New Year and hugs to you.