As you read this post, I’ll be on my way to Seward, Alaska to begin my trip on The Great Alaskan Running Cruise. Follow me on Instagram as I will be posting pictures and some stories during my trip.
As I mentioned last week, I am a BibRAVE Pro Ambassador and one of the perks is signing up for the Chicago Half Marathon and 5k on September 24th. Read along as I list the reasons why I am excited to run the 5k.
1. It will be my first race as a BibRAVE Pro Ambassador. I am grateful to be chosen as an ambassador and excited to run for this amazing group. I also look forward to meet more ambassadors at the race.
2. It is a local race. That saves me time and money. I sleep in my own bed and drive to the race. I’ve run before the half marathon so I am familiar with the course. I love that in this race you run through traffic free Lake Shore Drive.
3. FREE Race Photos. I never buy any of my race photos (too expensive and don’t like how I look – that alone is another topic) but I’ve noticed that I do like the FREE ones. Regardless, whether I like them or not, they’re still FREE.
4. It is a short race. I know people have a love/hate relationship with 5ks. I personally like the distance because it is “only” 3 miles. Doable, right? Sure beats 13.1 miles. 🙂
5. I am hoping to PR! My old PR is from 2011. It is time to set a new one.
EXTRA: 6. You get a cool shirt and medal. Love the color red!
I cannot believe it is already Friday! And to think that we are halfway through the month. I am kind of excited and looking forward to another school.
I had an exciting week filled with good news and some fun and new running products.
I woke up Monday morning to find out I wa selected to be a BibRave Pro Ambassador.
2. As an Ambassador, I have the chance to run the Chicago Half Marathon and 5k on September 24th (I signed up for the 5k). I would have signed up for the half marathon but I am running on marathon on September 3rd and I don’t think I’ll be ready for a half marathon.
3. Do you cringe when you see your running photos? I knew I was an underpronator but seeing pictures is just something else. I was worried that I was wearing the wrong shoes but my friends at Fleet Feet confirmed that I have the right shoes.
4. I love my Oiselle tops and purchased 8 new tops (and some new shorts). They’re gorgeous! And I love running shoes so I bought the new Revel from Brooks. I am supposed to get them today and can’t wait to run in them. I’ve read that they’re similar to the Launch which are the shoes I use.
5. Do you want to get paid to be healthy! Join Achievemint, connect apps, and start earning money. Use THIS LINKto join and we both get 250 points. For every 10,000 points you accumulate, you get $10. I’ve connected it to FitBit, Strava, and Garmin accounts and already made $10. Seriously, you have NOTHING to lose.
1. Is it weird to get excited when your coach emails you dates of upcoming long runs? So far I have 18 on 8/22; 20 on 9/5; 18 on 9/12; and 20 on 9/19.
Ha, it’s been a long time since I’ve done anything longer than 13.1 miles. It must have been Spring 2014 when I was training for the Chicago Lakefront 50k. Sigh, it’s been on my mind to do another one. Maybe Spring 2016? We’ll see. Last Saturday’s run was supposed to be 14 but I managed 10. I am scheduled for 13 tomorrow and I am sort of looking forward to it. :=)
2. Yesterday was my last day of summer school. It was an interesting couple of weeks for me. Let’s just say I have a deeper respect for special education teachers. I thought my job was tough but now realize that my job is easier.
3. On Monday I start my last class for my math endorsement. It is Geometry and I am kind of worried because I HATE Geometry. Plus, it will be intense since the class is for 10 days from 9am-12pm. Oh well, I’d rather do this than go for 10 weeks on Wednesday from 5pm-8pm.
4. I told myself no more ProCompression socks but how cute are these?
Do you like wearing long compression socks? Have you ever run a 50k?
1. On Wednesday I started my summer job. I will be working for the month of July from 8am-11:45 am. I like it because it it for one month for a few hours in the morning and I still have the rest of the day to do whatever I want. However, next month I have my summer class and then when it is over, it will be almost time to go back to school.
2. Do you have anything planned for Saturday, September 20th? Please plan to attend Bright Pink’s FitFest 2015 in Chicago. You can read more about it here.
3. Lately I’ve been buying so much Brooks running gear from REI. I’ve purchased the Versatile Lite Tank Top in each color. They run big – I usually wear a large but a medium fits me fine. I also bought the Versatile IV T-Shirt in blue and green. They also run big. There are a bunch of other discounted stuff and you’ll save even more (cash back) if you go through the Ebates site.
4. I was out returning some socks at Kohl’s and found some great books for my kids. I bought 4 different ones along with the stuffed animal. I might go back to get another one. Isn’t it cute?
5. Tomorrow is race #6 – Elmhurst Bank 4 on the 4th. I LOVE this race and am very excited about it. Here is a picture of my outfit.
6. Thanks to Timehop I can look back at what I did, ate, wore, etc., in prior years. Last year I had a new pair of Newton Kismet while three years ago I wore a pair of Brooks Glycerin.
What are you plans for the 4th of July? I am not sure if we’re staying home and my mother with BBQ or we’ll visit family members and they’ll BBQ. Do you have Timehop on your phone? How do you like it?
1. Friday again? The days definitely go by much faster when you are on vacation. I know that during the school year I am always aware of each day and get so excited on Fridays. On vacation I sometimes lose track and have no idea when a day is Monday, Tuesday, etc.
2. On Monday, my sister and nephews went to volunteer at Feed My Starving Children. It is a great place to volunteer and you end up leaving really good about yourself. The last time I was there was almost two years ago. Yikes! I need to make it a priority to go there more often.
We were there from 2:30-4:30 pm. My nephews LOVE Home Run Inn and we stopped there for dinner. We got home in time to watch “The Bachelorette” and before the bad weather began rolling into the Chicago area. Luckily, it was just wind and lots of rain but I know other places had it even worse.
3. I bought a new running gear, the Garmin Forerunner 220. So far I’ve run with it twice and like it. The only problem I have is that I cannot get it to sync with my heart monitor. I have to run 8 miles on Saturday with the CES group so hopefully one of the coaches there can help me.
4. I know we all have good and bad runs. I love it when I have a good run but I love it even more when it is on a day that I had no desire to run. I did not run yesterday morning because I was planning to run in the evening with the ladies from Fleet Feet. Well, I did a few errands with my mom and got home after 6pm. I was tired and decided to rest and then go running. Everything hurt so I took an ibuprofen. Then I decided not to go. I guess I must have been feeling guilty and I reminded myself that I would not skip any of my marathon training runs planned by my coach (I’ve missed one) so I got dressed and went out for my run. You know what? It was AWESOME and I felt great. I ran better than I expected and that made me happy.
5. I received my grade for my Spring class. I am disappointed that I got a “B”. I know it is still a great grade but the class was so easy and pretty much an easy “A”. For nine weeks I listened to the lectures and took notes. I also did all of my homework and pretty much got all of the problems correct. The deal breaker was the final presentation on the last day of class. It was worth 50 percent of my grade. I know I did not rock it but I didn’t think I did that bad. I get really nervous speaking in front of a group (definitely not a problem with little kids) so I am just mad at myself because I messed up on the presentation. My next (and final class) starts in August.
What has been your best volunteer experience? Do you get nervous speaking in front of a group?