Happy Tuesday! Was anyone off yesterday? I was and it was definitely nice. This past week I explained to my kids the reason for being off on Monday. Many had heard of Martin Luther King, Jr., but couldn’t remember much about him. No worries. We watched a video and did various activities to remember and honor him. I will ask them again today and see if they remember. 🙂
This week’s Tuesday Topic: What’s on your Winter bucket list?You can write about this topic or feel free to post any running related blog post. Remember to Link-up with Kim and Zenaida! Visit at least two of the other linked posts – the more the merrier! Remember to come back for later linkers!
As you know, so far I haven’t had much luck with running. I got sick and then I fell. I know it is only the 3rd week in January and I have plenty of time to achieve my goals this year. However, I have two races this Winter that I want to do and hopefully get a PR in one of them.
• Publix Atlanta Half Marathon, March 1 I’ve been wanting to run in GA for years and I finally have a chance to cross it off my list. This race is the day after the Olympic Marathon Trials so you know I have to go. I know Atlanta is hilly so I was never expecting to get a PR. At this point, my goals are to enjoy it and to finish it (similar to the Detroit race).
• Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle, March 22 One of my goals this year is to get a PR in the 8k distance. There aren’t that many 8ks in Chicago and I do this race almost every year. My PR is 48:38 from 2014. I was close in 2015 with a finish time of 49:49. I remember the first time I did this race in 2006. My goal was to finish under an hour (I did). I also remember running the whole time and stopping only once for water. It is one of my favorite races in Chicago.
Wish me luck. If I don’t get my PR at the Shamrock Shuffle, then I will find another 8k race. This year I am determined.
So maybe these are not exactly bucket list items. Oh well. I still want to get these done.
How did this week go by fast? I thought I was ready to run last week (I even signed up at another gym) but could not wake up on time. Then my left knee was hurting a little so I guess it was a sign that I wasn’t ready yet.
Let me explain about the gym. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield. They have a Fitness Program in which I pay $25 per month and I can sign up at various gyms in the network. There are gym like Blink, Charter Fitness, and Planet Fitness. Now I have another gym I can go to. I’ve heard good things about Blink and was looking forward to going there.
I don’t think I’ve ever linked up with Kim and Deborah in which there was no running during the week. A few times I ran maybe once or twice but never not running. Oh well, there is always a first time.
This week I used the Peloton 4 times. That’s the most in one week! Cody is my favorite instructor. He is so fun and I enjoy all of his classes. Today’s class was all 80s music and I liked all of the songs except one.
Mateo keeping me company.
On Monday I had to take my car for an emissions test (it passed) and then bought my license plate sticker (I paid over $150 for it). I couldn’t buy said sticker until the emissions test. Then I went to the dentist. I’ve been going to the same dentist for over 20 years!
I know I shouldn’t be complaining about the weather but it is cold today. We even got snow on Friday.
I went out this morning to do laundry and to stop at Target. I am not planning to leave my house till tomorrow. I tried this new to me soap after reading Wendy’s post. Anyone else uses it?
Any Peloton users? Follow me at RunningTeacher1.
Linking up with Kim and Deborah for the Weekly Run Down.
• I did not realize I’ve been a member for 10 years. You would think that I would have at least received a free coffee, right?
• Who does not want this shirt? I know I do. I hope Brooks makes these available for us to buy. Desi is pretty amazing.
• We have 2 copiers in our school for about 80 teachers. This morning I walked in and saw that someone had jammed it and left it like that. Ugh! Why would anyone do that? I spent 10 minutes removing every strip of paper that was inside.
• Aren’t these so good? Love them. Once I bought a package from Costco and I finished it. Cannot remember how long it took me. Don’t think it was too long either.
Thanks to everyone for their comments from my post on Sunday regarding my fall. I am not done reading everyone’s post/comment. The bruise is slowly going away and my face looks so much better. 🙂
This week’s Tuesday Topic: What’s your plan to achieve your 2020 goals?You can write about this topic or feel free to post any running related blog post. Remember to Link-up with Kim and Zenaida! Visit at least two of the other linked posts – the more the merrier! Remember to come back for later linkers!
I wrote about my goals in December. Here is the post. I didn’t count them when I wrote my post but yesterday I counted them and I have 10 goals for this year. Maybe it is too many and maybe it isn’t. 🙂 Read along to find out how I planning on achieving my goals this year.
1. Be injury free. Please go away plantar fasciitis. Last year I got a taste of plantar fasciitis. I didn’t know that’s what it was (although I did suspect it and my doctor confirmed it) and it is one of the most painful injuries I’ve ever had. As of now, I want to say that it is gone. I did a lot of stretching, used my massage gun, wore a sleeve at night, and wore gym shoes with inserts during the day and while out running. I am also obsessed with my Oofos. I wear them every single day. Of course, I could get a different injury. Injuries like to follow runners. This year I plan to get stronger by taking up swimming, strength training, and/or cycling. I already have a Peloton so now I need to look into the other two.
2. PR in the following distances: 5k, 4 miles, 8k, 10k, 10 miles, and 13.1. This might be a tricky one. Last year I signed up with a new coach and was determined to make it work and stick to my workouts. I didn’t expect to get sick and to fall this year. I am not sure when I will run again. My PRs are so many years old and now am wondering if it is even possible. Maybe I should stick to the shorter distances?
3. Get a sub 2 half marathon. I’ve been wanting to do this for a number of years. My last couple of half marathons have been done just for fun and to run in a new state. I have a few I will be running this year but haven’t decided which one to make my sub 2 half marathon.
4. Run a marathon. I am hoping either the MCM in October or the NYC in November. This one depends on the lottery. I entered the early lottery for NYC but didn’t get selected. My entry was automatically entered into the regular lottery. The lottery registration for the MCM is in March. We’ll see what happens.
5. Buy a house. I have to figure out exactly what kind of house I want. I’ve been looking for over 2 years. Isn’t that long enough? Honestly, I am tired of waiting and looking. I saw the perfect house last year but by the time I was ready to make an offer, the owners had accepted an offer from someone else. Again, things happen for a reason so the question now is why didn’t I get that house?
6. Travel to Mexico. It’s been years since I’ve been there and really hope I can make it next year. I can cross this off my list. I bought my mother’s and my ticket on Saturday. We will be going in March/April for Spring Break. I told my sister and niece that I want to go to 3 places: Xochimilco, the pyramids in Teotihuacan, and to the Frida Kahlo Museum. Cannot wait!
7. Run a couple more half marathons in new states. I am registered for GA and KS but still need HI, NM, ID, ND, SD, SC, and WY. Only 9 more states to go. I have an idea of the ones I want to run in NM, ID, ND, SD, SC, and WY, but need to check out logistics (airfare and hotel) before I sign up. Anyone want to join me? Also, not sure about GA since it is at the end of February and I don’t know if I will be ready for it.
8. Be more patience at work and at home. So far I am doing OK with this one. I’ve been more calm at work and at home. I’ve been paying more attention to my students because many times that is just what they want. I need to remember that my students are little kids. Many look forward to coming to school and will do anything for attention and to please me. I’m also working on being more patient with my mother. She is older and needs a lot of care and attention. She isn’t patient either and tends to get angry because now there are many things she cannot do by herself and she does not like that.
9. Do more fun things with friends. I realized that I always use the same excuse “I am too tired” with them and don’t do enough fun things with them. I am at loss with this one. Not sure how to tackle this one because honestly I am tired at the end of the day. 🙂 I guess I can make plans with them for either one day every other weekend or during the week.
10. Find joy in everything that is possible. Life is short to not find joy in it. So far this is going well too. I started off the year with a cold and stayed home for 3 days. However, I watched TV, slept and took some much needed rest. As for my fall, well, nothing fun about that but I am glad it wasn’t worse and that I didn’t break anything. I know this sounds cheesy but in the morning I tell myself that it is going to be a good day. 🙂
WARNING: I fell so you will see some not so pleasant photos.
This week was very low mileage. I cannot use the excuse that I was tired or that it was too cold, what happened is that I fell. It was a bad fall.
I went running on Tuesday. I was looking forward to my run because the last time I ran was a week ago on New Years Day. My run was “only” 3 miles. Not too much and it was an easy run. I had finished 2 miles when I tripped and fell. I landed on the left side of my face.
I couldn’t believe it. The last time I fell was sometime last year in July. It hurt and I cried as I walked back home. I used my phone to check the damage and was horrified. It did look better once I got home and showered. I thought the dark area on the cheek was a bruise but it was actually dirt.
This was after I showered. Doesn’t look that bad, right?
Throughout the week I made sure to use ointment and bandages to cover the cuts. However, I am totally convinced that from now on, VapoRub is the only thing to use. My bruise is healing and doesn’t look as bad. It does sting a little when I put it on my face but then it actually feels good.
So no, I haven’t run. I haven’t run because of my knees and I am afraid to fall…again. I know eventually I have to get over the fear but for now I am taking a break to wait for my knees to heal. Once I start running again, most likely I will run on the treadmill. For longer runs I will go to the trail. If I fall, then at least I won’t land on the concrete. I stopped my training with my coach. I have a race in Atlanta on March 1, and while I still want to go and run, deep down inside I know I won’t be ready? Or will I?
I am annoyed that I fell again. However, I am grateful I didn’t break anything. It was a hard fall (worse than the previous ones) as seen from the pictures, but I am doing much better. I believe things happen for a reason, but have NO idea why this happened. Maybe to stop running?
I hope you had a great week! Hopefully yours was better than mine! 🙂
Linking up with Kim and Deborah for the Weekly Run Down.