No matter how much I complain about running, I will always love it! When I started running in 2005, I couldn’t run a mile. Heck, I couldn’t run 5 minutes. It took me years to get to where I am now (I ran mostly for fun and never paid attention to speed). I focused more on endurance and can proudly say that I’ve run over 150 races ranging from ultra marathons, marathons, half marathons, and over shorter distances.
Why do I love to run?
• I know it sounds cliche, but I run because I can. I am healthy with no medical condition that stops me from running. Basically, I have no excuse. I am the one with the excuses – too hot, too cold, too tired, or just lazy. 🙂 I’ve found that getting out there is hard but once I’m done with a run, I always feel GREAT.
• I like to see how much I can push myself. I signed up for my first marathon in 2006. With less than a year of running, a friend convinced me that I could run a marathon (glad I believed her). I had NO idea what I was getting myself into and didn’t know the distance of a marathon. I didn’t stop there, I’ve run a few more marathons and 2 ultra marathons.
• The challenges. Let’s mix them up. Do a race one day and then another one the next day. No big deal, right? The most difficult one I have done is Goofy Challenge (half marathon on Saturday and marathon on Sunday). Oh man, that was tough but definitely memorable.
• I love buying running clothes. Pretty much all of my tops and shorts are from Oiselle. I always get excited when my order arrives and I wear it on my run.
• Let’s not forget the shoes! Brooks shoes are the best!
• Support and encouragement from running friends. I belong to several Facebook groups and my feed is always full of motivation and advice from friends. Or sometimes I have a question about hydration, socks, gels, etc. and can count on someone to answer it for me.
What do you love most about running?
Linking up with Marcia, Patti, and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run.
I could copy and paste this post as my own! I love running for so many of the same reasons – I always struggle to get started but when I am done there is no better feeling. And I love the clothes – always looking for an excuse to get something new!
The best feeling is always when one is done with a run. I always have to tell myself that it wasn’t so bad. 🙂
My reasons for loving running have changed over the years, but one thing remains the same–I love running because I can run.
I agree! I have to remind myself to just run because I can run.
I have so much running gear, and now I wear some of it to work since I work in Boulder. I think it’s called Runners Chic. Or should be. I still look nice, but I love the options I have.
I have a lot of Oiselle pieces that I wear to work. Some of too pretty to be used for running. 🙂
I agree with everything you mentioned. Running is one sport that you can excell at without needing to finish “first.” 😉
Oh my goodness no kidding! I will never finish first but do enjoy the challenge and being able to push myself to go further.
Great post! I love just getting outside and away from all the stress of the day!
I agree with you. Running is also my “me” time. I think about my life now, where it is going, and where I would like for it to be. Or sometimes I think about what I will have to eat after my run.
Yes to all. I feel so much better after I run. It sort of sets me up for a great day. Cheer to amazing gear too!
I am hoping that once it gets warmer I can do my runs in the morning before work. I keep telling myself not to buy any more gear till the marathon. Let’s hope I am strong enough!
All great reasons to love running! I love it because I can make it my own and it’s whatever I want/need it to be. 🙂
Exactly! Many times we can control it and it can be just what we want it to be.