No matter how much I complain about running, I will always love it! When I started running in 2005, I couldn’t run a mile. Heck, I couldn’t run 5 minutes. It took me years to get to where I am now (I ran mostly for fun and never paid attention to speed). I focused more on endurance and can proudly say that I’ve run over 150 races ranging from ultra marathons, marathons, half marathons, and over shorter distances.
Why do I love to run?
• I know it sounds cliche, but I run because I can. I am healthy with no medical condition that stops me from running. Basically, I have no excuse. I am the one with the excuses – too hot, too cold, too tired, or just lazy. 🙂 I’ve found that getting out there is hard but once I’m done with a run, I always feel GREAT.
• I like to see how much I can push myself. I signed up for my first marathon in 2006. With less than a year of running, a friend convinced me that I could run a marathon (glad I believed her). I had NO idea what I was getting myself into and didn’t know the distance of a marathon. I didn’t stop there, I’ve run a few more marathons and 2 ultra marathons.
• The challenges. Let’s mix them up. Do a race one day and then another one the next day. No big deal, right? The most difficult one I have done is Goofy Challenge (half marathon on Saturday and marathon on Sunday). Oh man, that was tough but definitely memorable.
• I love buying running clothes. Pretty much all of my tops and shorts are from Oiselle. I always get excited when my order arrives and I wear it on my run.
• Let’s not forget the shoes! Brooks shoes are the best!
• Support and encouragement from running friends. I belong to several Facebook groups and my feed is always full of motivation and advice from friends. Or sometimes I have a question about hydration, socks, gels, etc. and can count on someone to answer it for me.
What do you love most about running?
Linking up with Marcia, Patti, and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run.